Broadmoor subdivision was established in 1950 and began with Broadmoor 1st, 2nd & 3rd filings which were bounded by Airline Highway and Florida Boulevard which was called the Baton Rouge-Hammond Highway at that time. These first filings consisted of Broadmoor Avenue, Wynnewood Street, Meadowood Street, Vine Street, Woodbine Street, Redbud Street and Riveroaks Drive.
At that time in Baton Rouge, there were no interstate highways, no malls, no cloverleaf at Florida and Airline, and not much traffic. The few existing residents of what is now Broadmoor were long time resident landowners, a few farmers and lot's of birds, squirrels, deer and other animals. There was a sugar mill here and part of Cortana Plantation was in Broadmoor, too.
Today, 52 filings encompass over 2000 residences in an area bounded by Florida Boulevard to the north, Airline Highway to the west, Sharp Road to the east, and Old Hammond Highway to the south. We are in "The Heart of Baton Rouge" and close to everything - malls, Interstates, downtown, colleges and university, and have local schools, churches and shopping areas, too. Our beautiful homes, lush landscapes, mature trees along with many varieties of birds make Broadmoor a very pleasant place to live.
Many first generation Broadmoor residents are no longer with us and new families and single persons have discovered our wonderful neighborhoods over the years. These new residents have made Broadmoor their home and our property values continue to be among the best in the parish, through boom and bust real estate markets. With the price of gasoline at all time high and highways full at rush hour, living in "The Heart of Baton Rouge" has become even more popular.
written by Avery Sloan